Thursday, December 16, 2010

What is Love?

I have been asking myself this question for many years not understanding the concept of love.

I have had many people explain to me what love is supposed to be, feel or what I should expect from love. I have encountered a few occasions where I had though that I was in love. But the truth is I have never loved anyone. I have been in a few relationships lasting anywhere from 8 months to 3 years with a few dates here and there but I cannot say that I have loved any of this men. How could I? In the end I have been lied to, cheated on, treated like a second class citizen, abused to name a few. The feeling that I had for them was just an illusion, a want and a need to feel accepted and wanted by someone so I have given so much of me that I do not have anything left to give.

I have taken time to learn that the only love that matters is my love for myself and that love is the only true love. I have learned that in order for me to have the ability to love someone I have to know what love feels like and loving myself is what unconditional love is. Yes, Yes, Yes...I feel Free! I feel Liberated! I am me and I love myself. I don't know if I will really love someone the way I love myself, but what I know for sure is that in loving myself I will be ensured that I receive the love that I need and that I will not settle for substitutes. On another note, I really do not want to settle for someone that has a lot of issues to work on unless he is taking the necessary steps in working on these issues himself and start already. There is nothing worst  than meeting someone that is nowhere near starting on working on his issues and knowing how far I have come, I will not back down for anyone.

For the one that is out there meant to be MY one, I'm here doing my thing and if it happens that we meet, that would be lovely...but until then I will continue loving myself because to me, that's what love is!

D.  

No comments: